Saturday, September 11, 2010

Where Were You?

Today is a day of remembrance. To all of you who lost a loved one nine years ago, my thoughts and prayers are with. To all of those who have lost a loved one in the years since due to the war, my thoughts and prayers are with you as well. And to all of those who have a loved one in the military in another country still fighting this war, my prayers are with you each day that you may see them again.

Do you remember where you were nine years ago when the news rang out over all media outlets?

I do, like it was yesterday.

I was at the kitchen table about to begin my daughter's homeschool lesson when my husband called. He was on his way home from work...aka...Air National Guard post. He asked me if I had heard or seen the news. I hadn't. He told me how a plane had crashed into one of the towers. I turned on the TV and watched in stunned silence while the second plane crashed into the second tower. I sat on the floor at the end of the bed the rest of the day while my husband tried to get some sleep, which is what I should have been doing since I had to go to work that night...aka...Air National Guard post.

Yes, we were a military family. Both of us were in the Air National Guard and we had two small kids. All I could think was we were at war and our lives would change, possibly forever.

Never once have I regretted joining the military. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. I am now out as is my husband. I never went overseas, though my husband did. What can I say, I love America. I love freedom and I'm proud to have served my country. I didn't give the ultimate sacrifice like a lot of men and women have done. My heart goes out to those family left behind. My heart goes out to all those veterans who wish they had paid the total sacrifice. Thank you men and women of the military, without you I would not have the freedom to post as such. Thank you for keeping America free.

Jasmine

1 comment:

  1. I remember being frozen that day, in shock and grief, staring at the TV and wishing those images of destruction weren't real. I remember the silence as the world held it's collective breath and knew things would never be the same. Not a plane in the sky for days. So hard to sleep, to go to work, and then slowly understanding that by living in fear, the enemy has won. So we fight that fear and live our lives to honour those who's own lives were cut short by violence of the most predjudice kind. And to honour those in uniform who fight everyday and too often come home before their time, and never get to see the streets lined with hundreds upon hundreds of people; strangers with tears in their eyes, who wave a flag and say too-soon goodbye.

    It's a day that no one will forget, American or not. It's a day the world stood still, shared a horrified breath. And cried.

    ReplyDelete