Tuesday, March 10, 2009

So You Want To Write A Book

READ ALL ABOUT IT!

A very important part of writing is reading. I mean if no one read then why would anyone write? The best way to learn the craft is to read. Yes, I said learn the craft. You don't have the "writing talent" to write. But I do think you have to love what you write.

The reading writer reads many different things.

You should always read current releases in the market your aiming for so you know what is selling. That doesn't mean you have to write the book to the market. I think you should write the story of your heart. But you need to know what your chances are of it selling and where it fits in the market.

Want to write an ebook? Download a few, kick back and relax without even getting out of your pj's or filling the car up with gas. Plus, no shipping fee. (I love that about ebooks. Shopping at home.)

Read books on the craft of writing. You can find books that walk you through the entire process or books that break down each element of a book. Such as, having problems with conflict. (I hate that part. It's so mean.) But if you need help there are books to help you. One such book that has been recommended to me by an author friend is Stephen King's, On Writing. I haven't read it, but I've heard it rocks.

I have read How to Write a Damn Good Novel by James N. Frey. It was pretty a good place for me to start as it covers all areas of a novel.

I really spent most of my time reading articles on the web, posts on yahoo groups and I've took a few online classes.

Harlequin has a good web page if you are marketing to them.

There are a ton of great articles on suite 101.

And let's not leave out Charlotte Dillon's web site.

Well, I'm pretty sure that will keep you busy for a while. And if not, you can always grab one of my ebook to reads.


Jasmine

No comments:

Post a Comment