Saturday, February 14, 2009

Fibro and Me

So, I'm one of the lucky ones who have been blessed with Fibromyalgia.

Fibro-my-what?

Yeah, that's what I said too. Like what is this thing I can't pronounce or spell?

Well, the word fibromyalgia means wide spread pain.

Okay, that doesn't tell me much. I know I'm in pain most of the time. Pain free moment are far and few in between. I can't remember the last time I had one of those moments, let alone one of those days.

The name really doesn't describe the chronic illness. The symptoms seem endless, no one know what causes it-even though everyone has a theory-, there is no cure as of now, and nothing really seems to work to help it.

There are tons of articles and website addressing fibro. Like :
http://www.fmaware.org/
http://www.fibromyalgia.com/

There are also tons of products on the market that claim to "cure" fibro. I don't put much stock into them. I just don't because they are everywhere. If they really cure the illness, why aren't doctors using them and why do they cost like the $19.99 or $29.99 price like you see on tv products?

But what does it really mean to some who has it? I like how this website describes it. http://www.fibroandfatigue.com/aboutfibromyalgia.php

"The underlying cause of Fibromyalgia is unknown. Research is ongoing, but there is agreement that Fibromyalgia patients have an enhanced pain sensitivity and response originating from the central nervous system. Traumatic illness or injury may trigger the disease. Additional research is continuing to determine other factors that may lead to the development of Fibromyalgia including: genetics, environment, autoimmune dysfunction, nutritional deficiencies and connective tissue disease.

Frequency, degree and location of pain vary from day to day. Any given day a Fibromyalgia patient's level of discomfort may range from mild muscle stiffness to extreme, radiating pain so severe they feel completely debilitated and unable to carry out simple activities."


Okay, so what are the symptoms? Just to name a few.
  • pain and fatigue
  • sleep disturbances
  • morning stiffness
  • headaches
  • irritable bowel syndrome
  • painful menstrual periods
  • numbness or tingling of the extremities
  • restless legs syndrome
  • temperature sensitivity
  • cognitive and memory problems (sometimes referred to as “fibro fog”)

Oh yes, that list above is just a few of the symptoms and lucky me, I have them all. I'm also very moody and I have depression. Hence- stay on the meds. I think the one that drives me crazy the most would be the numbness and tingling I get in my feet and legs. That really drives me up a wall. Oh yeah, and don't touch my fingertips or I might just slap at you or snap. I can't stand to be touched on the tips of my fingers. Hurts like HELL. But these are still just a few things that I deal with on a daily basis.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to complain or whine, just raise some awareness and give my readers a glimpse into my day to day life. Next month I won't go through all the background story to fibro and I'll probably make fun of something stupid I did because of it. Like today I had to pick up my daughter from dance camp at school. Twice, yes twice, I had to turn around from where I was because I forgot to turn correctly. The second time, I drove right by the school and forgot to turn into the parking lot. Yes, you have permission to laugh. I am.

Jasmine

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Jasmine. I always wondered what it was...

    ReplyDelete